Friday, September 19, 2008

Cami's Assignment #1

Alright here are my shots. I made Jake do some sitting for me so you wouldn't have to look at my smoochy a million times . . . and so it would be in focus. :)

Window #1


This is up in my bedroom with the shutter doors off, but actually I think both pictures were taken with only one shutter down--half of the window above was blocked off. The room is really dark other than the window light. Jake's pic is at about 4:00 p.m., and Janey's is at around 10:00 a.m. They are both on the bed, about 2 feet from the window.

1/100 F3.5 ISO 800 50mm

1/100 F1.8 ISO 400 50mm
original

Ok, I went back and fixed the BW conversion on this one after Jeri's comment. To see a better version, click HERE.

Window #2

I don't have any smallish windows, but my playroom is like a dungeon since the only light is from the door that is under a 10 foot deck. To make things harder, I opened the curtains only about 10 inches--that's what you see here. I had Jake sit on the couch facing the light.

1/100 F2.0 ISO 1600 50mm
original


Window #3

This is our sliding glass door on the main level. There is a lot of light throughout the day, but it never streams totally in until evening, so I get soft light. I take most of my pictures here.

For the picture below, she was facing the window, about 5 feet away, and I was sitting with the window behind me.

1/160 F2.2 ISO 200 50mm
original


Outside

Look, a child that doesn't belong to me! I took this on Christie's deck. I don't have a picture, but she's in full shade.

1/100 F3.2 ISO 200 50mm

There you go. critique away! (Except don't tell me to get cuter subjects, because I like them all!)

9 Comments:

Blogger Bobblehead-ology said...

The photos look fabulous to me. Sorry nothing constructive here. But I have a question for Cami, Jeri, or I know Christi knows how to do this too and maybe now that I'm learning some of the photo terms from a textbook I started reading, I'll understand the answer... How do you get your background to black out like Cami's in the photos???

September 20, 2008 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Cami said...

Kathy, part of the reason it's black in the background is because the room is completely dark except the window light. Also, it doesn't hurt that the walls in my room are navy blue! :)

September 20, 2008 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Kathy, Cami is right. There is a big difference between the light in her photograph and the shadow, so it will come out black.

There doesn't have to be a big difference though. You only need a 2 stop difference in order for the background to come out dark. I will demonstrate this next time we meet, but you can experiment now--Subject in the light, background in the shadow.

September 20, 2008 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Cami,

I was trilled to see your post! I am going to do a short (ish) critique here, but will go into greater detail the next time I see you.

#1. Jake- This is a great photograph. I love the light, and there is just shadow to make things interesting. (He is so sweet to model for you!)

#2. Jane-Sweet profile image! Definitely a keeper. The white of her hat is "blocked" or "blown", but that may have happened during your black and white processing. I will show you what this looks like on your histogram and how to avoid it in the future.

#3. Another really good one of Jake. It looks really good for 1600 ISO too! I wouldn't change much about this photograph...but compositionally I would have changed the angle just a bit. A bit lower. Also, see how there is more negative space behind him...I would have switched that up a little. This image emphasizes him "looking" so I would have put a little more negative space in front of him....to give him some space to look into. (Love his hands and wedding ring in this.)

#4.OH sweet Jane. This image jumped out to me on your blog from her rolling photos. I love the light here, and this is a great spot for photos! Composition...Her eyes are in a good spot, unfortunately that cuts off her hand. Not always a bad thing, and I don't think it ruins this photo.

#5 Tori. Great composition, great expression, & nice catchlights. If you look on the left side will see all this glowy light hitting her shoulder and hair, if you would have taken two or three steps to your left (keeping her attention) this light would have fallen on her face. Probably turning those nice catchlights into amazing ones. =)

I hope that helps. GREAT WORK CAMI! Clapping for you.

September 20, 2008 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger erin sheely said...

Are you using a fixed focal length lens for these? I can't get my fstop to go below 5.6.

September 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

My favorite one is the one of Jake in the window - and I really like Jeri's comment about giving him room to look. I love that, actually. I need to tuck that idea away in my brain :)

September 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Erin, yes. I'm using a 50mm fixed lens. But your lens probably does go below 5.6--I was having a hard time fixing that on my kit lens, but I figured it out. Does it say how low it's supposed to go on your lens?

September 21, 2008 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Cami said...

Jeri, yes the white IS blown. I hadn't noticed before. I guess I was just looking at her face during the BW process. In the original it is not, but it's close. (Is it blown when it is all the way to the top on the histogram, or just all the way to the right?)I have trouble getting things just right when people are in white--which my kids almost ALWAYS are . . .

I'll have to have you show me about the angle on Jake's picture so I understand it. I am afraid of being up the nose!

Oh, just thanks for all the tips--and I was going to print these out so as to dissect them in person, and then we can see just how grainy 1600 ISO shot turned out . . .

September 21, 2008 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Yes, please print them. I am not sure if I will have a laptop, so if you want advice/critiques print photos and bring them! We have a whole MONTH!

September 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home