Corinne's Assignment #1
Okay, well, only one of my indoor pictures was actually taken in my own personal home, but they are with windows - so I am assuming that counts :)
Window #1
Soft window light/Close to window/ Light and Shadow on face.
I spent a day at my mom's this week so I took advantage of having a non-wiggly model around :) It was so fun to look at her through the lens for a while. I took her picture while she sat at the dining room table - the table is surrounded by windows on two sides and she was sitting in front of the middle window of three floor to ceiling windows (I forgot to take a picture of that room while I was there :)
Window #2
Small window/ small amount of light/ Can you make it work?
As you can see, the only smallish window I have is in my front hall. I took this one of Sheely at about 7:15 in the morning, just before the light gets super orange. It was REALLY HARD to take a crisp picture. Next time I think I would up my ISO and use a bit larger F number to get more good pictures to choose from.
1/100 F1.8 ISO 400 50 mm
original
Outside
Move outside/ get your subject in the shade/ Look for catchlights in the eyes.
I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the scene here either. I'm going to try to remember that next time. I was out in a field near a playground. There was a huge shed on the playground, making a big squarish shadow. I had Xavier stand just inside the shadow line - the sun was just beyond his eyes (the sun was shining right on my back as I took the picture) It took a while to find a position so he wasn't feeling super squinty.
Window #1
Soft window light/Close to window/ Light and Shadow on face.
I spent a day at my mom's this week so I took advantage of having a non-wiggly model around :) It was so fun to look at her through the lens for a while. I took her picture while she sat at the dining room table - the table is surrounded by windows on two sides and she was sitting in front of the middle window of three floor to ceiling windows (I forgot to take a picture of that room while I was there :)
Window #2
Small window/ small amount of light/ Can you make it work?
1/100 F1.8 ISO 400 50 mmoriginal
Window #3
Big window/create flat lighting (no shadows on your subject)
This first one I took in my living room in front of my sliding glass door - it was around one in the afternoon. It has a western exposure. I put a navy sheet in front of my coffee table and made him sit on it. It lasted for approximately 10 seconds so I am thrilled that I got this shot. He kept rolling himself up in the sheet :)
This second picture I actually took at the church - on the Laurel ward's side at about 5pm. We're standing in the lobby and my back is to the doors.
Big window/create flat lighting (no shadows on your subject)
This first one I took in my living room in front of my sliding glass door - it was around one in the afternoon. It has a western exposure. I put a navy sheet in front of my coffee table and made him sit on it. It lasted for approximately 10 seconds so I am thrilled that I got this shot. He kept rolling himself up in the sheet :)
This second picture I actually took at the church - on the Laurel ward's side at about 5pm. We're standing in the lobby and my back is to the doors.
Outside
Move outside/ get your subject in the shade/ Look for catchlights in the eyes.
I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the scene here either. I'm going to try to remember that next time. I was out in a field near a playground. There was a huge shed on the playground, making a big squarish shadow. I had Xavier stand just inside the shadow line - the sun was just beyond his eyes (the sun was shining right on my back as I took the picture) It took a while to find a position so he wasn't feeling super squinty.
Labels: Corinne




5 Comments:
Oh HOW did you get that shot of Sheely in 400? Maybe it's not quite as dark there. I got one of Jane in my small window at 400, but it was so much darker. You're right, I'll bet at 800 you'd get nice crisp shots.
I love that one of Haily at the church. Very cute and I love those out-of-focus bunny ears! As far as constructive criticism, I do wish it were a little lighter--more "sunny" feeling, but that's a preference. I always feel like mine are a little too dark (I'm projecting my insecurities onto your work.) :)
The others are great! I can't think of anything constructive. I would kind of like to see the originals of the BW ones. Maybe we should put links to originals if we process them?
I like the idea of posting originals. Where should we store them so we could link them?
Yeah, that's tricky. I always backdate a post with pics on my blog and then click on the picture and link it there. I'll do it to mine and show.
Great Photographs Corinne! I do love the idea of posting originals if you have the the skills to do so! =)
(FYI: Originals are the image straight of out of the camera or SOOC. No photoshopping or sharpening for the web.)
Corinne I am going to do a quick critique even though you didn't ask for one. Let me know if you want me to delete it.
#1. What a special photoshoot! My favorite part of this image is her hair, because it creates the most wonderful frame that leads us right to her face. As far as lighting goes, lifting her chin a little would have put more light on her face, but then we would have lost the framing hair. Pick and choose. =)
#2. Great small window spot, and great photograph of Sheely. Nice light on her face. You were right about choosing a bigger fstop next time....I rarely use a lens at its widest (smallest number) fstop. It is just to picky, and hard to get sharp when used wide open.
#3. I can see why you are pleased! This is such a good photograph of him. Great composition. I do feel that your black and white could be adjusted/tweaked a tad more. (I would be happy to show you some of my tricks when were at a computer.)
#4. I love how this turned out. A good capture of their personalities, and keeping the "star" of the day in focus. It does need lightened...Did you use a screen layer or levels?-Or something else?
#5 The color is so vibrant in this! This perfect example of how to find great light on a sunny day. This is very well done.
A note for everyone-
When I save for the web I make my images 500 pixels high at 72 dpi. I always have three copies of each image. Original, print quality, and web quality.
Jeri - on #3, I would LOVE some help with transferring to b and w. I use adobe elements.
#4 - I think I use levels? I'd LOVE a class on photoshop :) - I'd also like to learn the best way to save those smaller files - do you use "save for web?"
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home