Friday, September 26, 2008

Erin's Assignment #1

**I have reposted this post 3 times and for the life me I can't figure out why my pictures won't show up in a bigger size when you click on them. Go figure. It's too annoying to try to do it again.

Window #1Soft window light/Close to window/

f/6.3 ,1/60, iso 200 This is at my mom's house by a huge window. The absolute miracle of this photo is that Emma is not making a fakey smile.
Window #2 Small window/ small amount of light/ Can you make it work?
f/1.8, 1/160, iso 1600
This is downstairs in my basement, picture the exact same set up as Cami had with Jake. I tried these pictures with several different ISOs and f stops.

Window #3 Big window/create flat lighting (no shadows on your subject)
f/2.2, 1/125, iso 400
This is actually right inside my front door, I had the main door open with the light coming in through the glass door. I was up on my tiptoes trying to get even with her face.

Move outside/ get your subject in the shade/ Look for catchlights in the eyes.
f/7.1, 1/100, iso 200This is on my deck, yeah, just pretend it's not a complete disaster. That's what I do. :) Most of the pictures I took with my girls on the deck were way too close up. That's mostly cause I didn't want any of the deck junk in the photo.

I would LOVE a critique and any kinds of advice y'all have. I shot the pictures of Emma and Mary with my regular 18-55mm zoom and the other two with Corinne's 50mm. I was AMAZED at the difference. Notice the difference in the f stops. Yeah. I will have to have someone show me how to link to the originals, I couldn't quite follow what I was supposed to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cami said...

Wowee WOW! That's all I have to say right now because it's very late. I'll put some more later.

September 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

I think they are all quite beautiful. I like the colors and lovely shadows.

Ok, so for critique I guess all I would say is that you may have had a hard time getting clear shots of the kids at lower shutter speeds. On both, you could have used a little lower f-stop and a higher shutter speed. Were you shooting in Av? If so, ignore this whole thing--and obviously you got good shots they way you were, so you're just fine.

September 29, 2008 at 5:17 AM  
Blogger Lincoln said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

I have looked at these photos 100 times, but never have had a minute to critique.

#1. This is wonderful. I think there is just enough shadow to define her features, and there isn't too much contrast. There is not much I can suggest for cc, except maybe play with your black and white conversion a bit more. (I will do this in a group class too.)

#2. You are so lucky to photograph Corinne! She is a natural. I love the lighting on her face! LOVE IT! I have great cc for this image ....I was taught to avoid photographing the backs of womens' hands. The side of the hand is much more flattering, and will add a nice curved line as well. (Not knocking your hand Corinne! =)

#3 Great example of flat light. Her eyes are in a good spot in the image and I like that they are on a diagonal. I wish I could see all of her ear.

#4 Little Sweetie. Cool catch lights, nice light and a little bit of shadow. I would try re- cropping to get her eyes out of the center of the image....to bring them to the top third.


This is for everyone, but post it here.

(I will say this many times as the group goes on....Hair cuts don't hurt...(meaning cropping into the hair). Visually if you crop the hair/top of head it is okay, but if I am doing extreme head crops I always leave a bit of the hairline. Just a little FYI...I never crop a chin.)

October 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home