Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vanessa's Assignment #1

#1 Soft window light / light & shadow on face.

50mm lens, 1/100 speed, 1.8, 400 ISO.
Taken about 12 feet from large window at 6pm, lying down on the upstairs landing. Now that I look at it here the shadows are not very pronounced. I could have had her tilted a little more to the side for more drama. I made some PS enhancements for contrast.


#2 Small window / small light / can you make it work?
1/40, 1.8, ISO 100 (I forgot to change the ISO but it worked out).
I used a room with the blind drawn almost all the way at 6pm, and sat her on a dark blanket. It looks lighter in this color photo that it actually was because I turned the lights on after. The color version was very drab. The B&W brings out the contrast much better.


#3 Big window / flat light / no shadows.
1/400, 2.0, ISO 100.
I cheated here. Had her crouch just inside the doorway, because my kids hate posing, so I take what I can get.


#4 Outside / shade.
1/200, 1.8, ISO 100. Taken at 6pm on shaded porch.
So you wouldn't know it from the pictures, but my children are actually happy people! I encouraged them to be serious for the shots so that the eyes were bigger and could catch more light. I'll try HAPPY ones next time :)

Since I won't be able to be at Photo group to talk to our fabulous "teacher" I have a question - pretty basic. I have trouble getting both eyes focused and it ruins so many of my fav shots, especially when they are in CONSTANT motion. See picture below (untouched). Tips? Thanks :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Cami said...

I should probably let Jeri or someone else explain, but here I am, so I'll give it a go.

I don't know what exactly you were using in that shot, but you were shooting in f2.0 earlier, and that has a pretty shallow depth of field, so it will only focus on a small portion of your shot. (I think of it kind of like layers--the deeper the picture goes, the more layers are in it.) If you want to focus the whole thing, use a higher f-stop. You could switch to ISO 200 and have more options for that.

Jeri told me to always have the eye closest to you in focus. So it's ok not to have both in focus on a profile shot like that, but you have to be careful. I do it too much, I think, and often I focus on the wrong "layer."

I think your pictures look BEAUTIFUL! I have not a single constructive criticism to make, except that I want to see your originals! Also, what kind of lens were you using?

October 3, 2008 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Cami said...

It just occurred to me that maybe you just meant how do you keep a kid in focus while they are constantly moving. So, my bad if you knew all that stuff I wrote! :) It will help someone. There ARE focus settings you can use when the subject moves a lot, but I don't know much about that, so I shall be done.

October 3, 2008 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger erin sheely said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! I am amazed that they are in such great focus at f1.8. I can't get anything to be in focus at that stop. I have that whole moving child problem too...

October 3, 2008 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wow those are pretty. Nice pictures.

October 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Hi Vanessa, I am so glad you posted!

#1. You talked about more tilt and more drama...but I love the lighting as is. The only cc I have is on the composition, see how her eyes are right in the middle...get them higher...into the top third. Play with different crops.

#2.I love this. Beautiful light, and great shadows. I would have had her lift her chin just a bit, but sometimes we just take what we can get and take it quickly! =)

#3. The light is nice, and you achieved flat lighting! I use an open door quite often. Her eyes look great, and you can see her little freckles! Cute! She does look a little "floaty" because of the dark background.

#4 TO DIE FOR! I love it. You should be really proud of this image.

I will go over your question more in person. Cami was right, but everywhere she uses the word "layer" substitute "plane". Then you can google it and find more info.

October 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

the outside/shade one is BREATHTAKING. I want it on flickr so I can make it my favorite. Maybe it's already there?

October 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Yeah, whose on flickr around here? It's my new obsession.

Yes, PLANE! I knew there was a different word!

October 9, 2008 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home