KJ Motion Assignment
f3.5, shutter 1/13, 18 mm
I found this assignment harder than I thought it would be. On the carousel I didn't have my tripod. It was tricky to pick a shutter setting slow enough to show the blur of the moving merry-g0-round in the background but not so slow that my kids would move or look around and blur themselves as well. Plus there was camera shake from me, I'm sure. I landed somewhere in between. If you blow the pictures up you can see the main subjects have small amounts of blur. It was a little easier to get it on the spinny-thing because I could force the car to rotate faster, which of course made me sicker. But it was worth it to get these photos. My kids spend lots of time on this carousel!
f3.5, shutter 1/13, 18 mm
I sat in the car with her on the spinny thing. Bleh. Why do kids love this thing so much?
I sat in the car with her on the spinny thing. Bleh. Why do kids love this thing so much?

f4, shutter 6, 18 mm
My subject wandered away right after I got the tripod set up. Grr. So I only got a couple shots. But I decided to post anyway as a discussion point. I think a larger number aperture would have made the shot better/sharper. But then I wanted my subjects to appear watching the fireworks, and a larger number aperture would have worked against this desire. Even at 6 seconds (I guess that is what the shutter stop means), I had to lighten this in GIMP so you could sort of see Naomi & Steve better. It was difficult to aim the camera in such low light. After the fact, I read another article on fireworks shooting. It recommended taking the photo with a remote button to minimize camera shake. It also recommended setting the camera up in some way where the shutter would open with one click of the remote button and then close with the next click to give you control in filming one firework burst at a time. Sounds like a good idea. I have NO IDEA if my camera could do that.



2 Comments:
I absolutely love the images of your children! The one of your daughter is my favorite!!! I love all the motion you see in her as well, it add to the crazy dizzy feeling. Great work KJ!
I was so excited I didn't read about the firework image! I will go do that right now. =)
I think these are so great! Nice job.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home