Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Assignment TWO (October)

We had a great group today! Thanks to everyone that came.

There are two assignments this month.

#1. Take an object. Photograph it 12 times. Get creative and make each shot different! Use different angles and experiment with your composition. (eta- You can move the object. Turning it over for example....not moving it to a new location.)

Post your favorite THREE here if you would like.

#2. This assignment is about you and creating an storytelling image. Photograph 3 to5 things that describe who you are, or things that you love. Use light to help you create a mood or feeling. (edit....You can photograph 3-5 different things: my examples might include raspberry lemonade, ballet shoes, and a big stack of lip glosses. OR- You can focus on the story telling element of this assignment: Kellie's first photograph is a great example. That image tells us a little bit more about Kellie and what she loves. Post your favorite pictures on the blog, but limit it to 3-5.)

Try completing these sentences to get some ideas.....

I love __________.
I could spend a whole day _________________.
I can not live without _____________.
My favorite ___________ is ____________.

Now go figure out how to photograph it!

Great work last month everyone. You can still post assignment #1 if you did not have a chance.

We discussed composition today, and a little on f-stops and shutter speeds. I will do a composition post soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

I'm so sad I missed it today!! I've spoken with both Erin and Cami who said it was great :) I'm excited about the assignment and eager to read what you have to say about composition.

question for the first part: should we be changing light/settings etc or is it only composition you want to have change?

October 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Good question Corinne. Get your exposure set (take some test shots) and then take 12 different pictures.

If your exposure needs to change...by all means change it. This assignment is to push you to SEE every angle, and try different compositions.

October 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Question here too. Are we supposed to be MOVING the object? Or do we just move around it?

October 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

You can move the object!

October 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

can i add in other props? i.e. something of color underneath, put the object in something else, etc.

October 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Jeri, for the story telling image--is it ONE picture with several objects? Or is it 3-5 compilation shots? I was doing several shots of several things. But that is fun for me and I'll just post my fave if that's what the assignment is. Thank you.

October 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Corinne, I am going to say it's your call. Rely on composition more than staging though.

Cami, It can be both. My first thought was FAVORITE THINGS, and my second thought was photographs that tell about who you are.....so do what ever makes you happy! The 3-5 part is how many images I want you to post on this blog!

October 27, 2008 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

When we come to the next meeting, which ones do you want us to have printed out?

October 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Corinne, Post a few here, but bring everything to the meeting! We will all layout our 12 images....and favorite things images so we can look at them together.

October 31, 2008 at 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home