Kellie Assignment Two
So, I was setting up to do my object (glass in the early morning light, just like Corinne-I swear it is a coincidence-I hadn't seen hers when I set this up) and discovered two objects. So, I have the vase and the cat for your consideration. The cat always sits there, so sometimes I don't even notice her. None of these are processed because I'm late getting this done, so if I make any dramatic improvements in photoshop, I'll put them up for comparison.

I like this one because if you look closely, I'm focused on the other side of the vase on the image of the leaf that is framed in the blurred outline of the leaf on this side. Interestingly, the leaf image on the other side is the same size as the near one, but the curve of the vase distorts it-like the image in a spoon.
This one is my favorite. I tried it with the long shadow, but somehow I liked it better over on the edge with the contrasting angle.

I wish I hadn't cut off her ears in this one, but I like the mysterious face. I had her eye framed better so you could see the goldeny green color, but she didn't realize she was supposed to be a still life subject.

Favorite Things:
For this one I set up with two halogen reading lamps. They have "daylight" bulbs in them, so the light was pretty good. I know from experience that they aren't very powerful though, so I got my tripod out just in case. I ended up being able to shoot at 1/60th so it turned out okay.


The story here is the constant juxtaposition in my life of technology and the ancient and decidedly low-tech stuff that I do, like read and knit. I'm an Apple girl, so I have my mouse, my old iPod that is still going strong, and my new shuffle. Representing the softer side, I included some hand-turned cherry knitting needles that I treasure and several skeins of yarn that contrast with the gadgets in texture but are similar in color to show the crossover of interests that I have. I was curious about shooting the monochrome layout, as well as the reflective surfaces. It took some experimenting on angle, but I like how this one turned out. The only thing I can think of to add a little more punch would be to use some knitting needles that are blue like the blue highlight on the iPod screen. I thought of that afterward, though. In the end, I think I'm satisfied with the warmth of the wood.
Favorite Things:
For this one I set up with two halogen reading lamps. They have "daylight" bulbs in them, so the light was pretty good. I know from experience that they aren't very powerful though, so I got my tripod out just in case. I ended up being able to shoot at 1/60th so it turned out okay.
The story here is the constant juxtaposition in my life of technology and the ancient and decidedly low-tech stuff that I do, like read and knit. I'm an Apple girl, so I have my mouse, my old iPod that is still going strong, and my new shuffle. Representing the softer side, I included some hand-turned cherry knitting needles that I treasure and several skeins of yarn that contrast with the gadgets in texture but are similar in color to show the crossover of interests that I have. I was curious about shooting the monochrome layout, as well as the reflective surfaces. It took some experimenting on angle, but I like how this one turned out. The only thing I can think of to add a little more punch would be to use some knitting needles that are blue like the blue highlight on the iPod screen. I thought of that afterward, though. In the end, I think I'm satisfied with the warmth of the wood.

4 Comments:
Kellie! These are beautiful. I thought of doing an ipod too, but thought there was no way to do it artistically. HA! How wrong I was.
Love the kitty ones. And that vase with the tinsy leaf through the other one! Very cool.
Funny. I too thought about doing my computer (or some part of it) but figured there was NO way to make it look good. Beautiful shots... I especially liked your composition & the full vase shot - the rich red and warm wood hues are some of my favorite colors.
that red is so warm and toasty :)
Wonderful! I love the small leaf picture...what a wonderful tiny detail! I love the cozy kitty from behind, he look so warm.
Thank you for showing your set up for the ipod picture! What a great idea for a picture about you! I love the way it turned out.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home