Saturday, January 17, 2009

Kellie Assignment Three, Situation

Evan and one of his best pals were playing a rousing football game on the Wii. I wanted to shoot it in a photo-journalistic style that would show the dynamics of their friendship within the context of the situation. I turned the iso way up to 1600 on purpose so they would be a little gritty and noisy. I went with either wide apertures or slow shutter speeds to capture different aspects or to capture the sense of interaction. My favorite photos in the world are in National Geographic and I especially like the situational photo shoots in that magazine-where the photos are not always technically perfect, but the story is told. That has always been my mantra as a photographer, "I told the story," and it helps me see my photos from that perspective. These were all adjusted slightly with the levels and curves tools in Photoshop, mostly because the light was so challenging.


f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/100th sec, focal length 153mm (I shot this one with my uber-lens)



f /2.8, ISO 1600, 1/125th sec, focal length 70mm


f/2.2, ISO 1600, 1/160th sec, focal length, 50mm (This one was with my 1.4 50mm lens)

3 Comments:

Blogger Cami said...

So fun! What a great situation to record. They look like they were having a blast.

January 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger erin sheely said...

Love it!! Those are so fun.

January 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Oh what a perfect way to capture him at this time in his life. I love them! The last one is my favorite...great expressions from both of them!

I love the blurry high five too. It gives a sense of motion, so we know exactly what they were doing.

January 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home